Starting an Education Foundation
Starting a local education foundation includes the following steps. For detailed information and resources, contact CTCEF.
- Organizing—set up core group, do research on education foundations, assess needs and interest, recruit board members who reflect your community, create mission statement and goals
- Legal Steps—file for Certificate of Incorporation, write bylaws, obtain tax I.D. number, file for 501(c)(3) status
- Financial Steps—get seed money from board members, open checking account, establish bookkeeping system
- Statement of Purpose—write and discuss before presenting to schools and community
- Identify projects and an allocation process
- Develop and implement a fundraising and friend-raising plan
CTCEF presents a workshop on Education Foundation Fundamentals at its annual conference to help groups who want to start or revitalize an education foundation. See the Conference Page for this year’s date.