Legal and Tax Resources
- Connecticut has a volunteer immunity statute, but the Federal Volunteer Protection Act of 1997 broadens immunity provisions for volunteers. This article includes an explanation of the Act.
- Pro Bono Partnership, a non-profit legal assistance organization, recruits volunteer attorneys from major corporations and law firms to provide expert pro bono assistance to nonprofit organizations on corporate, tax, real estate, employment, and other business-related legal matters.
The Partnership can also answer your brief legal questions if you call or e-mail.
- How long should your education foundation keep its documents and records? Check the list on the Records Retention PDF that presenter Sara Pflueger shared with Financial Management for Your Foundation attendees. The information is tailored specifically to non-profits.
- The IRS has phased in new 990 forms and filing requirements. The form an organization must file depends on its financial activity. Check here and scroll down for the most recent figures.
- The IRS states that charitable organizations can lose their 501(c)(3) status if they engage in political campaign activities. Read more...
- 501(c)(3) organizations also have restrictions on lobbying activities. The IRS has posted an article explaining these restrictions. Read more...
- SchoolGrants is a Web site about pre-K to 12 school grant opportunities. Look for the section on Grant Writing Tips and Links.
- Here is a detailed listing of Existing Grant Opportunities that the PEN Weekly NewsBlast updates each week.
- The Connecticut Mirror is an online newspaper that covers state politics, government, health, and education in much more depth than other CT newspapers. You can read their education articles here.
- If you are planning to work with a consultant, The Insider's Guide to Outside Advice will guide you through every step of the process.
- CTCEF's Summer 2006 newsletter includes articles about collaborating to stretch resources, why one foundation says "no more pilots," a way to increase donations, a successful fundraising event, tax tips, and evaluating the success of a foundation. Read more...
- Education Foundations: Changing Public Education And the Way Connecticut Communities Pay for It By: Jim H. Smith - Download the CPEC Report (PDF)
- The January 2004 issue of the National School Boards Association newsletter is all about education foundations - Download the January 2004 issue (PDF)
Materials from CTCEF Conferences and Regional Workshops
- CTCEF Regional Workshop, April 3, 2013
"Lessons Learned in Revitalizing an Education Foundation" Presenter Lori Brantner shared handouts that included a comprehensive list of resources with links that all foundations should have.
- CTCEF's 13th annual conference, October 2, 2012
CTCEF's 2012 conference registration packets included a page of observations about Web sites that may help you and your foundation.
Melissa Morriss-Olson, Bay Path College, presented the latest research on what motivates people to give and specific strategies you can use to better connect donors to your organization and cause. Learn more from Melissa's PowerPoint slides.
- CTCEF's 12th annual conference, October 4, 2011
Registration packet handouts included CTCEF's Foundation Checklist, which all of you should check once a year. Download it here for your files.
- CTCEF Regional Workshop, April 5, 2011
"Facebook and Local Education Foundations - A Panel Discussion"
Each panel member shared a useful handout: Jane DeMaio, Kate Ebbott, and Joanne Beers
- CTCEF Regional Workshop, November 10, 2009
"E-Branding: Using Technology and Social Media to Enhance Your Image and Expand Your Donor Base."
Presenter Sandra Hastings shares her PPT here (download 10MB zip file).
- "Fundraising in a Difficult Economic Environment." CTCEF Regional Workshop on May 20, 2009
Presenters Amy Hines and Melissa Morriss-Olson presented a CTCEF Regional Workshop distributed a Checklist for Education Foundations to Raise Funds in a Tough Economy.
- "Financial Planning for Your Education Foundation." CTCEF Regional Workshop on February 28, 2009
Some of the topics included in presenter Sara Pflueger's handout, General Bookkeeping Guidelines, are bookkeeping systems, internal and external financial reporting, internal financial controls, and definition of terms.
Organizations of Education Foundations